Parish of St Leonard with Holy Cross and St Michael’s Methodist-
Thomas Harrison established his organ building company in 1861 in Rochdale, and moved to Durham in 1872, where he was joined by his brother James. The firm quickly established a reputation for meticulous craftsmanship, and a number of Harrison organs from this period are still in good working order today, after more than a century.
But it was not until Thomas's sons, Arthur and Harry, took over in 1896 that the firm began to achieve greater recognition. With Harry designing the organs, and Arthur becoming a voicer of legendary vision and perfectionism, the company made its name with an outstanding series of four-
Arthur Harrison died in 1936, and Harry retired shortly after the war, leaving the company in the hands of his son, Cuthbert. During the next period of its history Harrison & Harrison was in the forefront of the movement away from the pre-
Harrison & Harrison is now the largest organ building company in Britain.
|Where To Find Us|
|Health and Safety Policy|
|St Leonard's - Our Victorian Church|
|St Leonard's - The Green Man|
|Rev. Andrew Sweeney|
|What's On And What's Been|
|Hythe Parish Magazine|
|Hythe Parish Magazine Archive|